"Where are those raptures? Alas! Where youth is too." - Ivan Turgenev

Sunday, April 26, 2009

Rachael Yamagata's concert

Was at Rachael Yamagata's concert at the Esplanade this month... It was beautiful. I've always loved her songs, and to experience her performing it live really refreshed my exhausted senses.

Some of my friends were also at the concert, but I was sitting on my own. I felt like I appreciated the concert a lot more because I was by myself. It was like through her songs, I was having a dialogue with RY about her experiences in life, some of which I could relate to. It didn't matter whether the person next to me liked or disliked it, cos I didn't know who they were.

There was a caucasian lady sitting next to me though, and she was also by herself. She appeared to be in her own world with the music. Somehow I felt an affinity with her. I think one has to really appreciate the music to be able to attend a concert on one's own. Also she reminded me of the times when I was in an unknown place and I could walk into a concert on my own and everything would be astonishingly novel.

Since the concert, I haven't got over listening to RY's music before bedtime. Sometimes it reminds me that life can be as lighthearted as we make it out to be.

No comments: